Friday, January 6, 2012

Let's Celebrate Soup Season...


With a slight flurry of snow yesterday in the great Garden State the temperature, I thought, was going to stay cold which means one thing to me...it is officially Soup Season.  Much to my dismay it is going to be 50 degrees tomorrow!  Nonetheless I am celebrating soup season in my kitchen which happens to be one one my favorite seasons of the year.  I often get carried away and make soup in an over abundance.  So much so that I could swim in it till spring.  With the endless possibilities of chicken, lentil, broccoli, split pea, black eyed peas, potato, corn, creamy soups, chowders, vegetable soups how could you not get washed up in a great big bowl of soup. So join me in celebrating soup season with one of my favorites...


Potato & Leek Soup


2 Tablespoons Butter
***2 Large Leeks (sliced)
2 Russet Potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 Quart Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Salt/Pepper


In a large stock pot melt butter over medium heat
Add leeks and saute for about 5-7 minutes
Add potatoes and stock
Season with salt/pepper
Cover pot and cook for 20 minutes
Allow mixture to cool (be careful when blending hot foods - make sure soup is cool enough to handle before pureeing)
Puree until smooth with either the blender (two batches is recommended) or with an immersion blender
Stir in heavy cream
Re-season with salt/pepper if necessary
Serve warm and topped with croutons


***Leeks tend to be very sandy inside. slice leeks only reserving the white portion of the stalk. Place leeks in a colander and rinse well before adding to the recipe***





No comments: