Monday, January 27, 2014

Gyoza O Boyza...

Gyoza what is the world is a gyoza... In essence it is the it is the cousin of the wonton.  Goyza is made from a thicker dough than a wonton and it is shaped differently when prepared.  Why all the chatter about the goyza...because I had left over wonton wrappers from the open faced, baked crab rangoons I made last week and in keeping the Asian flare I wanted to make wonton soup.  To the Internet I go and look for recipes.  I find a recipe for gyoza and think alright this sounds good so go with it, but of course not without tweeking it just tad. I make them for dinner and not only did my kitchen smell like The Original No. 1 Chinese Restaurant (which happens to be my favorite Chinese food restaurant in northern New Jersey) but they tasted like I placed an order with No. 1!  So delicious and so easy to make.

So I do a little research about gyoza because that is what I think I made last night and low and behold I get a this new found knowledge about gyoza and wontons.  So the recipe said gyoza but I used wonton wrappers so how is that a gyoza?  No idea, so for all intents and purposes my creation is now known in my kitchen as Gyoza O Boyza It's A Wonton!  Enjoy...

Goyza O Boyza It's AWonton
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cups Napa cabbage (chopped)
1/4 cup onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (diced)
1/4 cup carrots (chopped)
1/2 lb shrimp (rinsed, peeled and devained)
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (10 oz.) package wonton wrappers
1/4 cup water

In a large skillet heat sesame oil over high heat
Mix cabbage, onion, garlic and carrot until limp
Add shrimp and the egg and cook till shrimp is pink and egg is no longer runny
Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool

Fill Wontons:
Take 1/2 teaspoon of cooled mixture and place it in the center of each wonton
Moisten the outer edge of the wonton and fold in half to seal it
Continue until all wontons are filled and sealed

Preheat vegetable oil in the same skillet used to make the wonton mixture
Cook each wonton approximately 1 minute per side or until slightly browned
Place water in the skillet and cover
Allow wonton to steam until the water is gone about 3-5 minutes

Remove from skillet and serve warm with optional dipping sauce

Optional Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: