Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Leave The Crust Out Of This...


I guess I have a small obsession lately with reinventing the recipes for classic egg dishes...last week was my take on eggs benedict and this week quiche.  Quiche - who messes with quiche...I do!  I really love this versatile delight.  A delicious, fluffy egg mix of goodness is really what I believe quiche to be.  I read that a quiche is really just 4 eggs and a 1 1/2 of milk, heavy cream or half and half.  So having said that the possibilities are endless.  We can take the classic quiche Lorraine to a whole new level, a healthier level at that!  While I was dreaming of new filling creations for my quiche I dared to take it a step further and leave out the crust.  I know all these bold moves lately, no holladaise on the egg benedict and now no crust for the quiche, what's next?  Who needs the crust when you can have the custard filling all by itself, which in my opinion, is the best part.  So switch it up with me and make this oh so easy crustless quiche.  Serve it for brunch, lunch or even dinner!  It goes perfect with the traditional tossed salad or a salad with artichoke hearts, mozzarella and balsamic dressing - I just can't help myself I even have to tweak the side salad!  Enjoy...



Crustless Eggplant Quiche
1 Medium Eggplant (diced)
1 Medium Onion (diced)
4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Eggplant (diced)
4 Roasted Red Peppers (sliced)
Salt/Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flake
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream, Whole Milk or Half & Half

In a medium size pan add olive oil
Warm over medium heat
Add onions and garlic and cook for 4 minutes
Stirring often so garlic does not burn
Add eggplant and roasted red peppers and season with salt/pepper
Turn to incorporate eggplant and peppers with onions/garlic
Season with red pepper flake and basil
Add a touch more olive oil and mix
Cook for 8 minutes or until eggplant is soft
Remove from flame and set aside to cool
Once cooled add Parmesan cheese and mix well

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a medium size bowl
Whisk eggs with heavy cream, milk or half& half
Season with a few grinds of black pepper

Spread eggplant mixture evenly inside of a 9 x13 inch oven proof baking dish or pie plate
Pour egg mixture on top
Bake for 30 minutes
Remove from oven and slice into squares
Serve alongside a tossed salad

Side Salad
1 Head Romaine Lettuce (rinsed, dried and cut)
1 Can Artichoke Hearts (drained and diced)
8oz. Part Skim Mozzarella (diced)
Salt/Pepper
Creamy Balsamic Dressing

In a bowl add lettuce, artichokes and mozzarella
Season with salt/pepper
Toss with desired amount of salad dressing
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: