Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oreo Truffles Anyone...


Surprise...I made a dessert item!  

If you have been following this blog or know anything about me you know that baking is not my favorite activity in the kitchen.  By all means I can do it if I have to or if the mood strikes me.  This mood usually happens when there is two feet of snow predicted and I know I will be housebound until someone plows me out.  Since it is November and still unseasonably warm in New Jersey the Oreo cookie truffles were because I had to.   At first it seemed like a great idea suggested by my lovely sister, Nicole (she and I were hosting a dinner party).   I was all for it up until the day I actually had to make them and that is when I began dreading the Oreo cookie project.  I am at the store thinking how is this going to work, the directions for the recipe seem too easy and this Almond Bark is uncharted territory.   At this point I am convinced the kitchen, my husband and the greyhounds will all be covered in some type of chocolate goop.  

Here goes -  I pulverize the cookies...that went well.  Mix in the cream cheese...so far so good.  I roll the mix into balls without a sweat.  I set the timer to make sure my little gems set in the fridge.  10 long minutes pass and now its time for the dipping process.  I melt the Almond Bark in the microwave and at this point I think well I can always buy a little sweet treat tomorrow.  It melts like a dream, its like lava in the bowl and I go in for the first dip...with a spoon I roll the cold Oreo ball and the Almond Bark coats its perfectly.  What?!?  Why is my arm not covered in Almond Bark and why didn't my Oreo ball fall apart.  Let's keep going before something happens and something did happen...my Oreo creations turned into beautiful, chocolate covered truffles that tasted amazing. 


Total Time: About 1 hour




1 lb. Package of Oreo Cookies (minus 8 cookies)
1 (8oz.) Package of Cream Cheese (softened)
12 oz. Almond Bark Chocolate Coating 
Special Equipment...
Parchment Paper and a Non-Stick Cookie Sheet


Place the cookies in the food processor or blender and pulverize into a powder
Take cookie crumbs and place in a large bowl
Mix in the cream cheese until no white is showing
Roll into balls and place on parchment paper covered cookie sheet
Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes
Place Almond Bark in microwave safe bowl 
Melt in 30 second increment, stirring after each increment until warm and smooth
Remove Oreo balls from fridge 
Carefully roll each Oreo ball in melted Almond Bark and place back on parchment paper to set 
Make about 36 Oreo truffles 

***Place Oreo ball on a tablespoon to gently coat with chocolate







No comments: